Sorry, these posts are a bit out of order. These were my posts while I was on my trip last week ending with a post from today.
November 2
After a long 7 hours, we finally arrived in Bucharest. On the sleeper train – I didn’t sleep a wink. We took it at 11:30 at night and arrived at 6:30 in the morning. The pillows and blankets were a bit sketchy, so I used my scarf and put it over the pillow. I tried not to let my imagination run wild and imagine who had used that pillow or where the blanket had been. Then, my watch died. I’m kind of a time nazi here – especially trying to make sure we arrived at our trains on time, at the hotel on time, etc. The whole night I was paranoid about not waking up – I kept having to check my roommates alarm clock. Needless to say – I didn’t sleep. After getting off, we had to find our way to the metro station. Thankfully, between Elizabeth and I, we had figured out which metro we needed to get on. We were able to find our way to the hostel, with only a few wrong turns. It was actually really cool – the whole city was foggy and a bit chilly, but it was completely quiet. When we walked into the hostel, the receptionist desk was empty. We sat in the lobby for a good hour before someone woke up and greeted us. I stressed so much about arriving there on time with our exact arrival time of 7:00 am and no one would have even cared. Because we arrived so early and the checkout time was later, everyone was still asleep.
Finally, someone woke up to help us. I was worried because she seemed a bit clueless in checking us in, but I found out later she was a new employee. I was so glad by this point that we had safely arrived on the train and gotten on the correct metro line and found our way to the hostel without any hassles. I had been so worried – almost to the point of making me sick that something was going to happen. Because people were still in the beds, we all crashed in the living room for a few minutes, got some breakfast, cleaned up and went out into the town.
We found our way to the Palace of the People – only to find that Ashley and I couldn’t go in because we only had passport copies and not an original ID. While the other girls took a tour of the giant building, we walked around Bucharest, found a church and some cool stores, navigated around a few of the piatas, ate at a little pastry/pizza shop and picked up the other girls. We headed up to the National History Museum and it was closed. Just our luck. We decided to head to Piata Revolutiei – or Revolution Square where Ceaucescu gave his final speech and left on the helicopter while snipers and other policemen shot into the crowd. It was strange to be standing in a place where something terrible had happened, now hundreds of years ago, but only 20 years ago. Many of these people passing by were alive during the difficult times in Romania. They had lived through an awful ear of history, lasting up to 40 years. As we stood in the square, a older gentlemen heard us talking and asked where we were from. I asked him if he could tell us the significance of the monument in the square. He talked with us for a good 20 minutes telling us the history of the monuments, what happened, and his experience being raised in Romania and during Ceaucescu’s reign. He told us that in 1977, he wanted to travel outside of Romania. He had gone to the police station to ask to get a passport. They had beaten him on his hands, legs and feet. He said his fingers had swollen so much that they were the size of sausages. As this man spoke, I couldn’t help but feel bad because I had taken for granted some of the simplest things – the opportunity to go places, being able to leave the country…privileges that seemed so plain to me were a dream for someone else. He even got reprimanded for even wanting to leave the country. It was a good learning experience; I could have never learned it in a textbook.
Across from the square, I saw a bookshop. Because I finished the Glass Castle (Thanks to Sar, and it was a fantastic book), I have been looking for another one to read. I had no idea it would be so difficult to find one in English. One of my roommates found an English bookshop next door – finally! I was able to get a book and I’m thrilled to start reading it! The bus ride to Tomesti is pretty mundane some days.
We headed back to our hostel (only slightly getting lost once) to get showered and cleaned up. The hostel experience was definitely new for me. We rented a locker big enough to hold our backpacks in and we were in a room with complete strangers. Lucky for us, there are 7 of us, so an 8 bed dorm meant only sharing the room with one stranger. Our stranger was a backpacker from Germany named Sebastian. He was very friendly. Also, we used a community bathroom and shower. They gave us clean sheets which was nice – although I’m still a germaphobe and slept with my scarf over my pillow again because the thought of sheets that aren’t mine still disgust me. I couldn’t believe that we got all of this for about $15 – 20 (US dollars).
Tomorrow will be our big test. We have to make our way back on the metro, get on the train and head to Brasov. Hope we make it safe.
On the night train...
The entrance to our hostel. Good thing I had an address otherwise I probably wouldn't have entered the gate.
Hanging out in the "tea room" at our hostel in Bucharest at 8 in the morning
Kala and I finding our way to the hostel. Notice the fantastic parking jobs here. Everyone parks halfway on the sidewalk like it is no big deal. You have to be careful even walking on the sidewalk so that you don't get run over.
The streets near our hostel in the early morning
It was so foggy when we arrived at the Palace of the People, we weren't quite sure that we found the right place
The streets in Bucharest with the river. I love the apartment buildings
When you don't have a coat rack, don't worry, just use the traffic light post
All of us outside the Palace of the People
I love the bread and pastry shops here
The leaves were so pretty here though
In front of the monument at Revolution Square
This was another monument dedicated to all of the people who had been shot during the Revolution
Our beds at the hostel in Buch
November 3
We arrived in the train station in time to grab a quick breakfast at McDonald’s. (I’ve eaten there twice in two days, and it still sounds appetizing. Suprising, I know!) When all the stands have shaworma and dried pretzels, it’s amazing what sounds good. We went to get on the train and I was super confused – how was I supposed to know which wagon we were in, which wagons were first and second class. We thought we found oru seats. I was so worried until the conductor finally came and punched our tickets. I guess we were in the right place because we didn’t have any problems. I was so exhausted. I hadn’t gotten a good sleep for 2 days. I tried to sleep on the train but I couldn’t due the 90 degree seat angle and the fact that everyone around is talking.
After 4 hours, we arrived and the station. I had arranged beforehand to have someone from the hostel meet us there to give us directions and help us get to the hostel. He told us what bus we needed to take and how many stops. I think he told us an extra stop because we were a bit lost when we got off the bus. I pulled out my map. I was trying to figure out where we were, but all that I knew was that we were on a little road in Brasov somewhere. After getting our bearings, we still couldn’t quite find the right road. I was so frustrated and exhausted and was starting to get a migraine. No one was really around except for someone cleaning the street. I finally just asked the woman cleaning the street what the name of the street we were on and how to get to our hostel. She was so kind and put down her cart and rake to show us the way. It’s times like these that I know I am being blessed.
We checked into the hostel, took showers and headed out to explore the old town. It was beautiful and amazing. We also went to one of the narrowest streets in Europe. All of the old architecture, musicians playing out on the street corners, lots of shopping, ice cream and pastry shops, the different colored buildings, the churches, the cobblestone streets – it was finally worth all of the stress and the planning I had done for the past few weeks.
On the train to Brasov. Looking like a giant nasty all week. I had my trusty guidebook with me!
View outside our hostel window. The mountains and leaves were beautiful!
Finally, after a good shower we all went out to find a place for lunch
Me and Elizabeth at the Strada Sforii - one of the narrowest roads in Europe measuring at 4 feet wide.
The view in Brasov. Absolutely beautiful
November 4
Today was a great day. The hostel provided a tour for a very decent price – also one of the reasons we stayed there. When I had researched other tours to the same sites, they were as much as 3 times more than what we had to pay. We went to Bran Castle, also known as the famous Dracula’s castle from the times of Vlad the impaler. It was actually much prettier than I had anticipated. We learned a lot about the history of Romania. Most of the problems dealt with countries trying to take over, money, land, royalty, etc. There was so much information and we had a fantastic tour guide, it was a bit overwhelming at times. Definitely worth the experience though.
We also went to Rasnov fortress and the famous fortified churches. All 3 places were fantastic with incredible views of the mountains. I had no idea how much Romania had been part of other countries and hadn’t been their own country all the time. It was also interesting to hear our tour guide talk about communism and how it affected her family. Her Dad was in the military and was ordered to shoot civilians and his own brother was a civilian during the riots and ended up getting shot during the revolution. It literally tore families apart. I couldn’t believe how real this history was. I was able to understand why some of the older generation still had a bit of a “nostalgia” for communism. For them, they were provided a house, a set salary, and a job. Even though those times were terrible, atleast they were promised those things. Also, compared to the post WWII years, communism was nothing to them.
All in all, it was a good and long day. I learned so much and probably burned a few thousand calories with all of that walking and climbing. My favorite place was definitely Bran Castle. Then Kala and I ended the day off with a good Ceaser salad. We met a guy named Dave who was staying at our first hostel and is staying at our same one here. He has been traveling around Europe for a few months by himself. Crazy, but he is also very funny. Well, one more day in Brasov. I think some of the girls are going paragliding tomorrow. I would, but I can’t justify spending that much money. I would rather have the money when I get home. Only 3 weeks left.
The walkway up to Bran Castle. Note to self - next time bring your Student ID otherwise you have to pay double everywhere to get in
Looking out the window at the tower
The secret staircase in Bran castle.
In Bran castle
Up the secret stairway...a little creepy
The courtyard area
One of the living room areas in the castle - so amazing
Around the inner walls of the castle
So pretty here. Even though I'm not in Provo to see the leaves change, it was beautiful here!
Rasnov Fortress
On the fortress ground
The panoramic view from the top
Leaving the gates of the fortress
The fortified churches and the peasant village surrounding it. It reminded me of a giant motel...
The church in the middle
The entrance to the church
Just one of the peasant homes
The church. It was actually very pretty, but freezing inside...
Sorry, didn't rotate this one. Yep, this was a door. They must have had midgets back then :)
We ended the tour by going to the giant fortress surrounding the old town section of Brasov and going into the hunter's tower and the ropemaker's tower
This is a view of the black church in Brasov. It was absolutely breathtaking inside. It was named the black church after it was destroyed by a fire. It is one of the largest Gothic churches still built.
Still sportin' my same scarf...
November 5
Last day here in Brasov – pretty uneventful day. More of a relaxing day actually. The girls weren’t able to go paragliding from the top of the mountain in Brasov, but the tramcar was apparently broken, so they didn’t end up going. I had forgotten my razor, so I definitely searched a bunch of shops to find a razor. I can’t stand not shaving my legs for that long. I felt bad taking a nap early, but then I thought, “Hello, I’m on vacation. Sometimes vacationing is just taking a break.” We have spent the last 3 days walking, I wanted to take some time to take a nap and it was well worth it because I was able to go out again. We decided to go out and explore. We did some shopping, got some delicious ice cream, found a sweet park – rode the teeter totters for a while, walked up to the cable car place to see if it was walking again. Finally, we ate some dinner and came home to shower. It has been beautiful here. I love everything here. I love that it still feels like autumn. I love that people speak English here. I am also surprised that I was able to live out of a backpack for 5 days – not too bad. That is not like me. I feel gross wearing the same spandex and wool socks to bed. I have been wearing the same jeans and green sweatshirt everyday. I just feel like a giant Josey Grossy! I also don’t like sleeping with different sheets and pillowcases. But, I wouldn’t change being here in Brasov right now.Pigeons everywhere...I've only been pooped on once though!
Close up - cute grandpa with his granddaughter feeding the birds
A view of the black church from the Piata Sfatului
The piata
My favorite place in Romania...
This is another part of the piata (piata means square), a view of the old council house. I'm eating my Betty Ice ice cream cone for 2 lei (Less than a dollar - fantastic)
So beautiful
The front of the Schei district (Old town) and the famous Brasov sign that is just like the Hollywood sign. That is where we wanted to take the cable car, but it was broken.
Inside our hostel/cabin. My bed was the top right. You better believe I didn't sleep because I was paranoid about falling out of the tiny bed.
Our 8 bed hostel room
A really cool building with flowers outside the window!
Waiting for 2 hours at the train station because our train was delayed. Kala's teeth are not bad, I promise. She's just eating some Milka chocolate (a daily treat here)
November 6
We had to catch the 11:30 train from Brasov to Buch – a 3 hour ride and now we are getting McDonald’s again during our 2 hour wait. Once we catch the 5:00 train, we have a 6 and a half hour ride back to Iasi. I washed all of my sheets and towels before I left because it usually takes more than a day for things to dry here and I need them everyday. I’m hoping that they didn’t blow away in a windstorm or anything. I’ll find out! I’m not excited for a long train ride. We have some crazy passengers. We had two men that reeked like toe jam. One of them asked me if he could have a drink of my Nalgene bottle. Sorry chief, I’m a germaphobe. I am actually excited to go back to Iasi. I’m excited to have a bigger selection of clothes and I am also really excited to see the kids. Hopefully they are all better and no longer sick. I have no idea how I haven’t caught something yet with the snotty noses and coughs I am exposed to on a daily basis. I’m excited to get back and cracking on the homework. I’ve also realized I’m kind of a neurotic traveler – map nazi, always checking the time to make sure we make the train/metro, double checking our routes, etc. I’m excited to not have to worry about that anymore.
Aubrea and I walking around while we thought everyone was paragliding
Getting on the train
Yes, this is the creeper smelly man. I have never smelled such a stench in my entire life. The scarf over face was a must.
November 7
Fast and testimony meeting today. The first two meetings weren’t in English, so by the time we went to Relief Society I was a bit frustrated. I just wanted to be able to know what was going on. In relief society, they asked if anyone had good news. There was a woman who raised her hand. I had never seen her before. She told us that she was so excited because she had met two missionaries who had given her faith and hope in her life. It was humbling for me. Here I was complaining that I couldn’t understand anything, not realizing that just having the truth, a testimony of the gospel and a knowledge of the atonement of Jesus Christ was something that should bring me joy. It made me rethink my attitude I had previously had.
November 8
I was so excited to see my kids today. At first, they were a bit apprehensive, but then when I changed into my blue scrubs, they knew it was me. I was so excited to see them I didn’t realize how much I had missed them! Some of them were still sick, but most of them were getting over their colds. It made me sad to think that I am going to leave them in a few weeks and I probably will never see them again. I feel as if they are my own kids. They come to me when they cry, they love to climb all over me and pull my hair, I constantly wipe their noses, I know what they do to get in trouble, they know when to test my patience, I know what songs they like to sing and how to make them laugh. I know what toys each of them like, I know when they are going to throw toys at me, I know when they are having a bad day. They make me laugh and smile, they make me frustrated at times, they wear me out, but I don’t regret coming here one bit. Yes, sometimes I feel like the babysitter when they try to get away with doing things they aren’t supposed to, but I also feel like I have made a difference when I leave and they cry and call me Mama.
When I got home, there were two big boxes on the couch. I had gotten packages from my sister’s mother in law. Thank you Janet! You have no idea how much this means to these kids. She had made little bags full of toys, notebooks, stickers, pencils, jewelry, etc. for me to hand out to the kids. It was incredibly thoughtful of her – and I know it probably was expensive to make and to send. She is amazing!
I wasn’t able to go the hospital today, so I sent a few of the bags with my roommate. She told me that she gave one to Lenutsa, the little girl I had stayed with a few weeks ago, the one that would just sob whenever we left the room. Megan told me that it seriously was like Christmas for her. She was so excited! She loved putting the rings and bracelets on! She kept pulling all of the toys out and putting them back in. I’m excited to take them with me for the kids this week! Thanks again Janet - you are amazing!
November 9, 2010
It was a wonderful day today at the apartments. I had 3 kids there because D is still sick and staying home from school. My favorite part was when a bunch of Bob Marley songs came on the radio and we had a dance party. I’m making progress with V. I have watched one of the workers when she is with him to see how she interacts with him to learn how I can better help him. It is hard because I usually can’t sit in front of him because he just covers his eyes or turns away. If he is sitting on my lap though and can’t make eye contact with me, he is just fine. I was showing him how to clap today and I had a mirror with me so that we could practice eye contact. He actually clapped by himself while we were dancing and I had the other kids clapping. He would look in the mirror and watch himself – which is a huge accomplishment. Normally, he just looks away when someone is that close to him. I have been trying to help him socialize with the other kids. I was able to get him and G to sit on the ground and toss a ball back and forth for a few seconds. Then, it evolved into a fight. But, for a few seconds, V was actually interacting with one of the other kids. It was amazing!
I was talking to Lena about my trip (One of my workers who only speaks quick Romanian to me!) Sometimes it is a bit difficult to understand her and for me to say what I want to say – but we were able to talk a little bit. It was getting about time for me to leave and she told me I needed to stay because she was fixing lunch for me. Sure enough – she had a big plate of something (mashed potatoes, noodles, meatballs and some sort of pepper sauce) and 2 big slices of bread. She also gave me a really large bowl of vegetable soup. It was actually pretty good – just A LOT of food. Even after the plate of food, I was trying to figure out how I could finish the bowl of soup. Finally, I finished. I went to take my plate in and told her I really liked the soup and asked her what she used to make the soup – mistake. She laughed, took my bowl in the kitchen and brought another full bowl of soup for me to eat. Holy cow, literally. I was satiated already and she had placed another bowl in front of me. I couldn’t be rude, so I ate it. Again, I went to take my dish back to the kitchen and she told me to stay there. She brought out a plate with a pear ice/cream dessert. I ate every bite, but I feel like I gained 25 lbs today. I am so grateful for her generosity, but I seriously ate WAY too much. I felt like a missionary – feeling like I had to eat everything in front of me otherwise she would be offended. It could have been much worse though, I need to be grateful for that.









No comments:
Post a Comment